Although people usually think of court reporting as a boring job they must know that this kind of job could elicit exhilarating experience too. The main reason why people thought of it as a boring job is the fact that court reporters have to deal paperwork that are mostly related to legal procedures but what they don’t know is that these people are able to witness a number of exciting court drama.
What Are the Qualifications to Become a Court Reporter?
Before a person becomes a qualified court reporter they must first take a licensure exam that is issued and conducted by a board of court reporting experts. Keep in mind that a person might also be connected to certain organization for court reporters. In joining a certain organization for court reporters one of the prerequisites involves typing a 250 or 225 words within a minute.
It is also a must for court reporters to undertake examinations in transcription, speed and writing skills to further improved their skills in their field.
What Are the Specific Tasks That Court Reporters Do
There are other services that court reporters are able to do aside from documentation and transcription of testimonies given by the people involve and the entire court proceedings in general.
– Capture the dialogue of the people inside the court using different pieces of equipment like covered microphones, audio and video recorders as well as stenography machines.
– State the identification of the speaker along with its gestures and movements.
– They are also the ones who will make a report or play back of certain parts of the trial upon the request of the judge.
– Uncertainties in the client’s statements are also clarified by court reporters.
– Scan the notes that they have made with regards to the speakers’ names and any jargons they used.
– Edit any typographical errors in the transcript.
– They issue copies of the transcripts to all parties involved in the legal procedure.
– For viewers who have hearing problems, they also provide transcriptions presented on screens.
Those mentioned earlier are just some of the things that a court reporter is oblige to do. On top of everything else, a report of all the events that took place in the court must be of quality. In making good reports it is very essential for court reporters to be cognizant with grammar, punctuations and spelling after all any alterations might result to a different meaning. With that being said, it only means one thing court reporters should be knowledgeable in written and spoken language.
As much as possible, they need to have background knowledge of the case so as the content of their litigation report is on point.